- spend a semester abroad in akureyri on the northeast coast of iceland. you'll be studying in iceland's second-largest urban area surrounded by mountains and fjords.
- enjoy life outside of class with a variety of cultural activities, local field trips, and excursions.
- experience icelandic culture through your daily life in and around akureyri and the rest of the country.
- take courses to fulfill your core curriculum or major requirements with courses in the humanities, marine sciences, economics, and international relations, all taught in english.
located in the north-atlantic ocean, the stunning island nation of iceland is the world’s most peaceful nation, a fact visible in the country’s unique nordic culture, rugged landscapes, and strong sense of tradition. akureyri, nicknamed “the green town”, is located in northeast iceland and is the nation’s second-largest urban area. it is surrounded by mountains at the head of iceland’s longest fjord, eyjafjörður.
akureyri is the site of a robust cultural scene, a beautiful waterfront downtown area, and a welcoming community. as an exchange student at the university of akureyri, une students live and take classes in a variety of subjects at the university while experiencing all that the unique country of iceland has to offer.
living in iceland
students will receive housing placements through the university of akureyri. the exact type and location of housing is based on availability each semester. students are guaranteed housing in either an on-campus room or from a guesthouse near campus with whom the university of akureyri collaborates. you will receive your housing placement from the university of akureyri no later than three weeks prior to your arrival.
you'll begin your study abroad experience before even leaving home by participating in information sessions and a pre-departure orientation with the global education program staff. the orientation allows students to connect with others in the group, reflect on what they want to get out of the program and learn what others in the group would like to accomplish.
the une iceland program offers a curriculum that meets the needs of a broad range of undergraduate majors. courses in the humanities, marine sciences, economics, and international relations allow students to take the courses they need, taught in english, while experiencing life in a different culture.
- airport reception
- support from on-site staff at the university of akureyri
- on-campus extracurricular activities, gym, and workshops
- cultural activities, local field trips, and excursions
- pre-departure and on-site orientation program
- travel medical insurance
you'll spend 16-18 weeks in akureyri. fall semester students arrive in iceland in late august and return home in mid-december. spring semester students arrive in iceland at the beginning of january and return home in mid-may.
students are required to have a 2.5 minimum gpa. no icelandic language experience is necessary, and all majors are welcome. students should bring their own laptops.
you'll keep all une scholarships and financial aid, and you'll be billed the same tuition as for a traditional on-campus semester.